Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Google of job sites



Forgive my gushing, but I just came across Indeed.com and it is the coolest and simplest job search site. Ever. It is the Costco of job sites, everything from your tomatoes to your tires under one roof. It is the Google of job sites. It is the stop-checking-a-dozen-job-sites-a-day-dear-put-your-feet-up-and have-some-tea of job sites.

It looks like a Google search page in its simplicity. Plug in a job title and a location, and Indeed will search "all the job listings from major job boards, newspapers, associations and company career pages." Read more about it here.

But it gets better. Plug in a job title and a location and hit "salary" and Indeed.com will instantly search Salary.com and other sites to give you the going pay rates. It's great when you just want to get a quick idea and not have to fuss about whether you qualify as a level I or II or III in your field.

And you can search the job listings archive over the last two years to get a graphical representation of recent trends in job listings. I wanted to see how often the word "blog" appeared in job listings. See the graph above.

There were hardly any job listings with the word "blog" in February 2005 (at least among the sites that Indeed.com was harnessing at the time). Two years later, the graph looks like something out of "An Inconvenient Truth."

Try plugging other terms in the trends section. What do you find? Isn't this cool??

I'm still gushing, aren't I? I won't apologize. I'm going to put my feet up and have some tea.

No comments: